Friday, March 21, 2014

Jesus VS Westley

I love movies made in the 80s and 90s however I am very behind at the same time because I just saw the Princess Bride. (You may now gasp in horror.)  It was Ah-mazing. If you have not seen the movie and hate spoilers, I would suggest you stop reading. Seriously.

All the things Wes and Buttercup (mostly Wes) went through to stay together was as sweet as a cavity. The farm boy named Wes “died” but even death shouldn’t stop his love for Buttercup. He battled three men to rescue her, went through a terrifying wood filled with fire, quicksand, and giant rodents only to have her taken away from him again. Wes was then thrown in a dungeon where he really did die, but luckily he lived (I hope you get the reference). And after going through all of that Westley saved his princess bride.

Their love story was so cute I found a thought filling my head: I wonder if a guy will ever love me like that and go through all that junk to get me.

Instantly I shot that notion down with a higher one: I DO have a guy who loves me more than Wes.

His name is Jesus. Allow me to introduce you to Him.

John 1:1-5 (NKJV)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.  In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.  And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

There is something really crucial to catch here in order to begin understanding Him: Jesus didn’t start when He was born of a virgin. HE IS GOD. In Revelation it says He is the Alpha and the Omega, He is the beginning and the end. So already Jesus trumps Wes because Wes can not breathe out life.

Well how does this Jesus love me? Let me count the ways. For starters HE made me. That’s pretty sweet. But I’m not. I sin and I am not perfect on account of that whole free will thing. So I couldn’t be with Him. I was His enemy. That is not OK. Like the Bryan and Katie Torwalt song says: I was made for love, I was made for loving Him.

So Jesus did something. He did something drastic. He became human. He wrote Himself into His story in order to get me back because I was too weak to. But He didn’t care about my weakness, He wanted me back.

Jesus came down to earth to live a perfect sinless life, to be a servant but He had one thing in mind: getting His creation back. So He did. However, unlike Wes’ death, Christ died on purpose.

He was betrayed by one of his followers and forsaken by His disciples. He was put on a trial with the sentence pre-decided. He was scourged (which meant men took a whip with cords coming out of it that have glass and bones attached to the ends and beat my Savior until you could see bone). He was struck in the head with a reed. He was spat on. He was mocked. He had a thorn crown cut through His scalp. He had his hands and feet nailed to a cross I should have been on. He cried out to God. He died.

Because Jesus loves.

But He didn’t stay dead, He rose from the dead. That’s amazing!

And Jesus did all of that because I couldn’t. Because I was weak. Because I sin and my “good works” don’t outweigh my bad. In fact, my “good works” are like filthy rags. But my Love, my Savior, my Healer, my Provider, my Perfect Lamb, my Shepherd, my Lord, and my God did all of that so I could have a relationship with Him.

Jesus however didn’t just do that for me. He died for everyone. So that everyone who repents and believes in Him will have the free gift of eternal life.

Jesus trumps Westley, no contest.

Now allow me to just spam you with verses about God’s love:

Lamentations 3:22-23 (ESV)

 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; 

his mercies never come to an end;
 they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

Psalm 36:7 (ESV)
How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

Psalm 32:10 (ESV)
 Many are the sorrows of the wicked,
but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord.

Psalm 94:18 (ESV)
 When I thought, “My foot slips,”
your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.

Psalm 147:10-11 (ESV)
His delight is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his pleasure in the legs of a man,
 but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him,
in those who hope in his steadfast love.

Romans 5:8 (ESV)
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

(If you would like to start a relationship with this Man whose love is unmatchable then you can visit my  How to Have a Relationship With Jesus Page or contact me at godsgrace129@gmail.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment