Saturday, May 10, 2014

What To Do For The Woman Who Does Everything For You

We are at what I feel to be one of the most commercialized holidays of the year and for some reason I am fine with that. When Christmas rolls around I hate how it’s all about Santa Clause and gifts. And Easter isn’t much better with it’s bunny that leaves eggs (think about it: a bunny leaves eggs. That’s wrong.) However with Mother’s day it’s all about mom. And we should thank Mom because she carried us in her belly for nine months then takes care of us until we're 30 (OK, maybe 25). And although I believe “Mother’s Day” should be everyday I also believe we should honor our mothers.



Why? Well I’ll give you two reasons:
1.      God commanded us to

·        Exodus 20:12 (NKJV) “Honor your father and your mother.”

2.      You will be blessed because of it

·        Ephesians 6:1-4 (NKJV) Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.  “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.”

·        So as you see we should honor our parents and God also blesses us when we do that. It’s a win win.

That first commandment wasn’t just saying to honor them on one day a year; this is your whole life. However I still think Mother’s Day is important. After all its one of the three days most people go to church no matter what (the others is Christmas and Easter). So what exactly should you do for your mother on Mother’s Day? I will give some ideas of things you can do without reaching into your pocket but still digging into your heart.


1.      Tell your wonderful mom you love them and mean it

·        I know every mother isn’t super cool like mine (love ya, mom!) and isn’t as easy to get along with but I honestly think that the overall performance of the world would improve if daughters and sons would tell their mother they love them. 

2.      Make them breakfast in bed

·        For some strange reason Mother’s Day is on a Sunday and if your church starts at 9:30 like mine, giving your mom breakfast in bed isn’t always easy. It may be better to do this the Saturday before. However it's Sunday (when this post is going out)…so… well… do with this idea what you will

3.      Clean up

·        I know, I know, that’s mom’s job right? Wrong! We could at least clean the house our parents are graciously allowing us to live in.

4.      Give her a card

·        Some people say that hallmark cards are the best but I know from experience that handmade cards feel the best to get because they’re more personal. I'm not downing store bought cards though because this year that's what my siblings and I are doing. 

5.      Do what she wants to do

·        I don’t know about your family but for mine we always go out to eat on birthdays or holidays. Sometimes this is works out great for me like when we get Mexican food. Other times the person wants to go somewhere I think is gross. But you know what? If my mom doesn’t want to go to that new barbecue place I’ve been longing to try, it’s all good. This is her day!

6.      Don’t be selfish

·        This is an everyday thing but especially Mother’s Day. Today is her day. Listen to what she says and don’t get mad if all she wants to do is sleep and not read the aweteous (awesome + righteous= aweteous, my friend thought of that) card you made her right when she gets out of bed.

7.      Say “I love you” again

·        You can never say that enough (and I didn’t want to leave this list on six).

I absolutely love Mother’s Day and I hope these ideas helped you. If you have any more ideas or thoughts on Mother’s day, comment below. In addition to this post I am going to put two great Mothers Day videos below for you to watch with your mom.

[Note: My wonderful Proverbs 31 mother, Mrs. Hope, edits my blog post most of the time but for today it’s in the hands of Grace and Ally. It would be weird if she edited this, then she would expect me to do all of the stuff I listed. JK, I wont be a hypocrite. Maybe I should take off number 3… Never mind. Hopefully there are not too many typos.]



No comments:

Post a Comment