Friday, April 4, 2014

Grace Finally Gets Grace

There is something I heard once that has changed the way I think about myself, other people and Jesus. The person said something along the lines of:

If you compare your self to someone else, it’s like trying to get a reflection from mud. No matter what you won’t come out with a good view of yourself. You will either see a distorted picture of yourself looking better than you really do or you will end up with an uglier version than reality. 

After hearing those words I realized two important things:

1.      You should never compare yourself to any human

2.      I compare my self to people All The Time.

At that point of my life I decided to stop acting like life was a competition and just start living to be the best Grace I could be for God’s kingdom. However, that permitted another problem, maybe a larger problem than before.

At night I pray to God before bed. Sometimes I’m so tired that it just comes out in strange slurs before I drift off to the dream world. That’s not the problem - well, it is, but I’ll blog about prayer later. The problem is what I was doing. Night after night I would play back the whole day and to the best to my ability I would take note of all the things I remembered I did wrong then I would beg to God to take those thing out of me (example: talking too much, being rude to my friends, etc.). Kind of obsessive, I know. (Ironically, I could never recall all of my sins, it would take a million and two lifetimes.)

The problem with that was that I was feeling like because I was sinning (like everyone does) God was disappointed in me and maybe even loved me less. And that is exactly what the Devil wanted me to think. Luckily God can turn everything the Devil plans from evil into good.


The key verse for this blog is 2 Corinthians 12:9 and for some reason one day I flipped my Bible to that page.

2 Corinthians 12: 9-10

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasures in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distress, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

After reading that, I realized I was focusing on me (again) when none of this is even about me. Life is about bringing glory and honor to God through the Cross. I can’t spend all my time focusing on me and how even though I’m a Christian I still fall woefully short in some- in a lot of areas. I need to keep my eyes on Christ.

John 3:30

“He must increase but I must decrease.”


My Weaknesses

Christ’s Strength

I talk way too much

Jesus always said just enough

It’s not always easy for me to forgive and forget

Jesus forgives our sins like it’s breathing

My attitude gets really ugly (especially when I’m sleepy)

Jesus was tired when He was on earth (He didn’t even have a “place to rest His head”) but He still showed compassion and love

I get super prideful sometimes

Jesus humbled Himself SO GREATLY and he didn’t have to because He’s God


I could honestly go on and on but I think my point has been made. Instead of focusing on my weaknesses I should focus on God’s grace because He is basically oozing with it. And that beautiful grace shines so much more whenever it is held besides His undeserving children.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out our sins and praying that God will change us. We want Him to change us so we can have our actions flow from His love but we shouldn’t let that affect the way we think God views us. Because when we were sinners, when we were enemies of God, Jesus died for us to make us the sons of God.

Romans 5:8

But God commanded his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment