Sunday, April 27, 2014

Prayer: It's not Awkward


You know how when you see that one person everyday in the hallways at school? Its like a regular thing for you on the way to chemistry. You vaguely know that person's name because you had a class with them like last year. But its awkward. Like you want to say hi but you're not sure if they will reject you and pretend like they’ve never seen you.

Sometimes I feel like that’s the way prayer is. You’re a Christian and stuff and you want to pray because… well because Jesus did it. And if He did it, you should too. However it's kind of awkward to talk out loud to a God you can't physically see.
But trust me, it's not as bad at it can seem. And really prayer is one of the coolest things God has blessed us with. But before I share one way I pray, I am going to explain why we pray.

1.        Like I said before, Jesus did it

·          The Lord’s prayer (Matthew 6: 9-13)

·          John 17

2.        It will keep us from temptation

·          Mark 14:38

3.        God hears our prayers and answers them

·          Mark 11:22-24

So prayer is a pretty sweet deal. We get to talk to God and He will fix all of our problems right? Wrong.

In the garden before Jesus was taken to be slaughtered for our sins, He prayed to the Father that He would take the cup away. He was getting punishment for sins He had never and never would commit. That was going to be Hell. Literally. And Jesus asked if there was any other way to get us out of our sin situation. In the end, however, Jesus said not His will but the Father's will be done (Mark 14:36). Jesus knew that the Father's will would come through so that's what we should pray for.

In Spiderman 3 (the old trilogy) Harry prayed that God would kill Peter Parker. Ironically though, Harry ended up dead. God is not just our genie that sits there saying “Poof, what do you want? Poof, what do you want?” It took me a while to get that and that’s why I like to use the Lord’s Prayer to keep me on track. This is not the only way to pray and its not what I do all the time but I would like to share it with you.

Basically I use the Lord’s Prayer (Matthew 6: 9-13) as a guide . For each line of the Prayer or two I add something and personalize it. It would be too awkward and not real to write down one of my prayers, however I will explain further:

·          Our Father in Heaven, Hallowed be Your name

o    I talk about how holy God is and how I want others to know that and I pray that He will reveal to the people around me how amazing He is.

·          Your kingdom come, Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven

o    I pray about wanting God’s will, not mine, to happen in me, in my friends, and in the whole world.

·          Give us this day our daily bread

o    I pray for the necessities in life: food, water, shelter, and Him. Also I pray to not start thinking all of this, His blessings, is from me and that He will keep me leaning on Him for everything everyday.

·          And forgive us of our debts as we forgive our debtors

o    I ask for forgiveness of my sins and pray that He will help me forgive others

·          And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one

o    I pray that He will keep me from the things I know are tempting for me so I don’t sin against Him


Breakaway Ministries (a Christian ministry at A&M in Texas) did a 6 week in-depth study  over the Lord’s Prayer and how it’s a guide to prayer. Click the link here to listen to all of them. Ben Stuart did a really great job and that podcast is what helped me expand on the idea of praying the Lord’s Prayer.

Comment Below on ways you like to pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment